Azavea is seeking someone with a marketing or communications background to advance our mission and generate inbound leads as our Marketing Lead. In this role, you will work closely with the Executive, Business Development, and User Experience teams to plan and implement marketing strategies that support business development and customer service. This primarily includes content, digital marketing, and print, but could include public relations and event support.
Goals of this role
- Maintain and improve Azavea’s market and brand position.
- Generate inbound and outbound leads through digital marketing.
What You Will Do
Lead marketing strategy and execution:
- Create and execute a content strategy across a broad range of platforms to increase our brand awareness. This could include social media, SEO-optimized blogs, and email campaigns. This could also include display ads, video, and webpage updates
- Maintain and build upon Azavea’s Branding Guidelines
- Oversee the design and content development of company and product websites
- Develop deep knowledge of the geospatial industry and Azavea’s work, competitors, and partners
- Support and model Azavea’s diversity, equity, and inclusion objectives through internal and external communication
Manage internal and external relationships:
- Manage relationships with external vendors for specific outsourced marketing activities such as design and SEO optimization
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders (Project teams, Business Development team, and User Experience team) to ensure that Azavea’s brand and positioning are reflected in the company’s marketing outlets
- Coordinate with the Business Development Team to provide sales materials needed and to also ensure that marketing activities are driving inbound leads
- Be an internal advocate for marketing, brand, vision, and voice within the company
- Support employee-written blogs and create well-structured drafts using Azavea’s CMS (WordPress)
Monitor marketing metrics:
- Monitor, analyze, and report on marketing campaigns’ engagement
- Oversee the company’s marketing budget
Skills and qualifications:
- This is not an entry-level job. Candidates should have some prior professional experience in a related field (marketing, communication or journalism) and are looking to now take a step up to lead marketing for a small company
- Market research and analysis experience
- Excellent writing and pro-journalist-level research skills.
- Experience with Google Analytics, Google Adwords, and Google Search Console
- A sense of aesthetics and a love for great copy
- Experience managing social media accounts (e.g. LinkedIn, Twitter)
Additional experience that may be valuable:
- Experience managing events, including trade shows, webcasts, and conferences
- Familiarity in B2B marketing and collaboration
- Familiarity working with Hubspot or similar CRM
- Familiarity with Google Tag Manager
- Familiarity with MOZ, SEM Rush, or another SEO tool
- Experience using a CMS to manage website content (we use WordPress)
A note on hiring during the COVID-19 pandemic
The majority of our colleagues generally work out of our Philadelphia office, but during Covid, we transitioned the entire company to remote work. The office is now open, but many of our colleagues are remote for the time being. Due to our concern for the health and safety of our team, we are open to either in-person or remote interviews. We have made arrangements for remote onboarding, including shipping relevant materials and a laptop to your home. We are fortunate to have invested in meaningful work-from-home tools and processes over the years and have been able to continue providing a secure, flexible, and safe work environment for all of our colleagues. We ask for your patience as we adapt our hiring process as well, and are happy to answer any questions or concerns about the process.
Office and Benefits
Our Philadelphia headquarters is located in a brightly lit office on the 5th floor of a converted factory building in the Callowhill neighborhood, a short walk from Center City, the Reading Terminal Market, and SEPTA subway and regional rail stations. For bicyclists, we have in-house bike parking, showers, and lockers. The office itself is assembled as an open office plan with several smaller rooms for team meetings and concentration time. You get your own desk with a high-end Linux workstation or Apple laptop and extra monitors. We have flex-time to deal with personal stuff, and most people work a 40 – 45 hour week on a regular schedule. After the first six months, our staff can also spend up to 10% of their time on an open source, professional development, or R&D project. Recent 10% time projects include experiments with machine learning, React Native, and various forms of serverless processing with Amazon Lambda.
We expect a starting salary in the range of $50,000-$60,000 commensurate with skills and experience in addition to a benefits package that includes:
- Fully subsidized health care, dental care, prescription plan, including for spouse/partner and children
- Fully subsidized life and long-term disability insurance, plus voluntary short-term disability insurance
- Medical reimbursement plan to cover what the health insurance does not
- Retirement plan with matching percentage
- Almost 4 weeks paid vacation plus additional paid sick/personal time off
- Family and medical leave
- Flexible work schedule
- Paid maternity and paternity leave
- Child care subsidy
- Paid time off for voting and volunteering
- Education assistance plan
- Student loan assistance
- Public transit and biking reimbursement plans
- Monthly guest lectures with lunches on the company
- 10% time for research or learning projects
- Profit-sharing bonus plan
- Financial transparency through an open book policy
- Kind, capable and thoughtful colleagues
We welcome qualified candidates from all walks of life and value diversity in our company. We prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, veteran status, military service, disability unrelated to job requirements, marital status, or domestic partner status.