The Union of Concerned Scientists (UCS) is an independent national nonprofit that uses science to protect our health, safety, and environment. We are scientists, engineers, economists, activists, and everyday people who develop and advocate for innovative, practical solutions to some of our planet’s most pressing problems—from combating global warming and developing sustainable ways to feed, power, and transport ourselves, to fighting misinformation, advancing racial equity, and reducing the threat of nuclear war.
Our fundraising department is seeking a Development Executive Coordinator to provide administrative support to our Chief Development Officer (CDO) and coordinating support on key functions for our entire department. The thirty-five-person development team is responsible for raising the organization’s entire budget—roughly $50 million—each year. The ideal candidate has excellent attention to detail, able to prioritize competing demands, and above all self-driven with a willingness to learn and ask questions.
The Development Executive Coordinator is responsible for providing administrative support to the Chief Development Officer and high-level coordination of department processes. Primary responsibilities for this role include specifically:
· Proactively manage CDO’s calendar – troubleshooting requests and conflicts, triaging emails, and keeping track of outstanding requests requiring timely responses from CDO
· Make regular travel bookings (when work travel resumes!), and prepare materials for donor and board travel, maintaining excellent digital files
· Partner with CDO and Deputy Director to prompt, coordinate and in some instances lead various department processes from scheduling, setting agendas and crafting engaging content for team meetings and retreats to tracking, and prompting key planning, budgeting, and metrics deadlines
· Prepare, submit, and approve travel reimbursements, invoices, and time tracking
· Develop and maintain team’s internal SharePoint pages
· Work in Raiser’s Edge database to enter interactions and extract data, maintaining accurate donor records
Qualifications and Experience
· 3-5 years as an administrative or executive assistant work or comparable is preferred
· Strong computer skills with expert level proficiency in Microsoft Office suite and, familiarity and aptitude with relational databases preferred
· Superb attention to detail while managing multiple priorities in a deadline-driven environment
· Proactive, self-driven individual with a curiosity and willingness to learn and ask questions
· Ability to engage in discussions around diversity, equity, and inclusion and a commitment to advancing these issues at UCS is also highly valued
· Comfortable spending extended periods at a computer
At UCS, comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
UCS is an equal opportunity employer actively seeking to diversify its staff. In particular, we’re dedicated to broadening opportunities for individuals from demographic groups that are historically underrepresented in the sciences and in environmental advocacy. We’re also committed to building an inclusive workplace culture where talented people of widely diverse backgrounds can thrive. We believe the inclusion of culturally diverse perspectives will improve our work and produce better societal and environmental outcomes for all, including historically disenfranchised communities.
This is a full-time position based in UCS’s Cambridge, MA office. Salary will be based on experience and qualifications. UCS offers excellent benefits and a rewarding work environment.
Information about the organization is available at http://www.ucsusa.org.
Comparable training and/or experience can be substituted for degrees when appropriate.
More about the department:
Our department is made up of a dedicated group of front-line fundraisers and data savvy development professionals who collectively raise the organizations budget each year. We come from wide-ranging backgrounds and experiences. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive team and a collaborative and supportive work environment where all staff can thrive. We continually strive to create an environment which is a welcoming place for the LGBTQ+ community, people of color, parents, empty-nesters, and people with a wide variety of interests and backgrounds.
A note on the pandemic:
During the coronavirus pandemic our staff are working from home. A new remote/hybrid policy is being developed but not yet finalized. We will resume working from our offices, travel, and in-person meetings when it is safe to do so.
To Apply: We know there are great candidates who won’t check all of these boxes, and we also know you might bring important skills that we haven’t considered. If that’s you, don’t hesitate to apply and tell us about yourself. Please upload a cover letter and resume. In the cover letter, please confirm that the listed salary meets your expectations. Upload materials in Word or PDF format only. No phone calls, please. https://apply.workable.com/j/A330E349D2
UCS acknowledges the omission of pertinent salary information in our job ads. This is due to efforts to enhance our pay equity practices while conducting an organizational-wide compensation analysis. Please refer to the market salary range for this position (consider industry, experience, skills, education, and other factors) when applying to this job.
Covid Mandate for New Hires:
All UCS employees must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 no later than October 1st, 2021. Employees are considered fully vaccinated as defined by the CDC. All new hires must provide notice of their vaccination status and vaccination documentation, on or before their first day of work.
All new employees must comply with the mandatory vaccination requirements outlined in UCS policies as soon as practicable. Union of Concerned Scientists will notify candidates for employment of the requirements of this policy before the start of employment.
Following an initial screening, the candidate will develop a more specific fellowship proposal in cooperation with UCS staff and impacted community groups for submission to the Kendall Science Fellows Program Advisory Committee by May 1, 2022.
Deadline: Until filled.