Location: Docklands Campus
Salary: starting at £30,865 per annum inclusive of London Weighting
Post Type: Full Time
Post Type: Permanent
Closing Date: Friday 01 July 2022
Interview Date: Wednesday 13 July 2022
Are you passionate about sustainability and want to join a team dedicated to delivering net zero in a unique urban university campus environment?
The Sustainability Team are a part of the Estates & Facilities Directorate at the University of East London, and are responsible for driving the sustainability agenda of the university in order to help UEL achieve its goal of becoming a net zero carbon institution by 2030. The Sustainability Team promotes and enables sustainable behaviour change across the University’s staff and student population to generate measurable results through staff and student engagement, energy efficiency projects and retrofits, incorporation of sustainability into the curriculum and sustainability reporting and communications. As the Sustainability Officer for Resource Management & Net Zero Delivery, you will be a key player in the development and delivery of sustainability and net zero initiatives at UEL, and lead on opportunities to reduce our carbon footprint through sustainable resource management and campus operations.
We are looking for an individual who has experience identifying and leading on opportunities to incorporate sustainability initiatives into our campus operations and consumption of resources like energy and water. If you are enthusiastic about sustainability, enjoy interacting with a diverse community of people, are self-motivated and can think creatively then this could be the ideal role for you.
The University of East London is one of the most diverse and vibrant universities in the global capital. Our pioneering and forward-thinking vision is making a positive and significant impact to the communities we serve, inspiring both our staff and students to reach their full potential. Join us and #BeTheChange.
Born in 1898 to serve the skills needs of the 2nd industrial revolution, the University of East London has commenced Year 4 of its transformational 10-year Vision 2028 strategic plan led by our Vice-Chancellor & President, Professor Amanda Broderick, to advance Industry 4.0 careers-1st education. We have a clear route-map to provide a springboard for the jobs and opportunities of the future; drive diversity in the 4.0 talent pipeline – working in partnership to promote talent wherever it is found; and to create an inclusive and sustainable, green future.
A successful external candidate for this position would be employed by UEL Professional Services Ltd, a wholly owned subsidiary of UEL. Employees of UEL Professional Services Ltd work alongside UEL colleagues in delivery of UEL’s mission, and UEL Professional Services Ltd will adopt UEL HR policies and procedures in full. Further detail regarding employment benefits can be found at the employee benefits section of our recruitment pages.
The Sustainability Team are a part of the Estates & Facilities Directorate at the University of East London. The Sustainability Team is responsible for the development of the Net Zero & Sustainability Strategy in order to help UEL achieve its goal of becoming a net zero carbon institution by 2030. The Sustainability Team promotes and enables sustainable behaviour change across the University’s staff and student population to generate measurable results through staff and student engagement, energy efficiency projects and retrofits, incorporation of sustainability into the curriculum and sustainability reporting and communications. Sustainability is also supported by other Delivery Partners in the University such as; Health & Safety, Facilities, Maintenance, Procurement, Finance and Capital Projects.
Main duties and responsibilities
- Lead on the Sustainability support programme of events, activities and projects to support the Net Zero Carbon journey, with a focus on energy and water consumption and related resource management aspects;
- Responsible for sustainable reporting to University Executive Board, University Management Board, and any other relevant stakeholders;
- Ensure utility bills are processed and paid efficiently, including monitoring of costs and consumption;
- Maintain database of UEL meter information;
- Manage and monitor utilities meters across the estate and ensure UEL gets best value for money and emissions by keeping up to date with market changes;
- Liaise in a timely and open manner with E&F colleagues to ensure a joined-up approach to delivering sustainability across the service, in particular supporting the Energy Efficiency Project and the Net Zero Carbon journey;
- Deliver reports and verbal updates to a range of audiences, including the Estates and Facilities Team, directors, the wider UEL community and the Board of Governors, University Executive Board and University Management Board;
- Support the Sustainability Manager in the delivery of the Net Zero Carbon Strategy;
- Support the Sustainability Project Manager in the delivery of the Energy Efficiency Project;
- Attend planning, pre-start and other Projects and Estates Development meetings to feed sustainability objectives and responsibilities into the capital programme;
- To assist in the development and use to full potential all available information technology and give committed support to agreed office systems and increase the efficiency of the operational process and end product.
Education, qualifications and achievements:
- Degree level qualification or relevant experience in a relevant subject (A/C)
Knowlegde and experience:
- Knowledge of sustainability/net zero & experience delivering outcomes with a sustainability/net zero focus (A/I)
- Experience of sustainability initiatives in the HE and wider sectors (A/I);
- Knowledge of energy, water and carbon management (A/I)
- Knowledge of property/estates matters (A/I)
- Experience of multi-site estates operation (I)
- Experience of working in the higher education sector (I)
- Proven ability to work effectively and flexibly under pressure and to tight deadlines (I)
- Experience of leading groups and chairing meetings (A/I)
- Proven ability to make decisions under pressure (I)
- The ability to prepare, present and disseminate reports/information, both technical and non-technical (I)
Planning and organising:
- Ability to work on own initiative and organise workload effectively (I)
Teamwork and motivation:
- A positive team player who proactively supports activities and is confident to progress chase information (A/I)
- Excellent verbal and communications skills including report writing, presentations, and interpersonal skills for working at all levels inside and outside of the organisation. (I)
Liaison and networking:
- Experience of effectively dealing with customers in a complex organisation with multiple internal and external stakeholders at all levels (A/I)
Analysis and research:
- Ability to build and analyse data, producing reports/spreadsheets (I)
Initiative and problem solving:
- A self-starter able to work on their own as well as part of a project team (I)
Skills and abilities:
- Excellent client facing skills (I)
- Good numeracy (I)
- Good IT skills with ability to use Project Programming, MS Office and appropriate project budget software (A/I)
Other essential criteria:
- Commitment to and understanding of equal opportunities issues within a diverse and multicultural environment (I)
Criteria tested by Key:
A = Application form
C = Certification
I = Interview
T = Test/Task
P = Presentation
CVs without a completed application form will not be accepted.
At UEL we are committed to working together to build a community which values diversity in both our staff and student populations, is representative and inclusive, enabling all to progress and thrive.